50 Things to Make with Cranberries
1. Classic Cranberry Sauce Simmer 4 cups cranberries, 1 1/2 cups each sugar and water, 4 wide strips lemon zest and 1/4 cup lemon juice over medium heat until the berries pop and the sauce thickens, 20 minutes; cool.
2. Cranberry-Port Sauce Cook 1/3 cup minced red onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until softened. Add 1/2 cup ruby port; simmer until reduced by half. Add 1 cup cranberries, 3/4 cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons each sugar and orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder. Simmer, lightly smashing the berries, until thickened, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cranberry-Pear Sauce Simmer 4 cups cranberries, 2 chopped peeled pears, 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom over medium heat until the berries pop and the sauce thickens, 25 minutes; cool.
4. Cranberry Jelly Bring 4 cups cranberries, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the berries pop and the sauce thickens, 20 to 25 minutes; cool. Puree, then strain. Chill.
5. Cranberry-Jalapeno Salsa Finely chop 2 cups cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor. Toss with 1/3 cup each chopped cucumber and cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped white onion, 1 minced jalapeno, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
6. Cranberry-Mint Chutney Bring 1 cup cranberries, 3/4 cup each sugar and water, 1/2 cup dried cranberries and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium; simmer until the berries pop and the chutney thickens, 10 minutes; cool slightly. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped cranberries, 1/4 cup chopped mint and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar.
7. Cranberry Relish Pulse 4 cups cranberries and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor until chopped. Toss with 2/3 cup each diced celery and apple, and 2/3 cup chopped parsley.
8. Sugared Cranberries Bring 1/2 cup each sugar and water to a boil. Pour over 1 1/2 cups cranberries. Cool 1 hour; drain. Roll in 1/2 cup sugar on a baking sheet. Let dry 4 hours.
9. Cranberry Maple Syrup Simmer 1 cup maple syrup, 3/4 cup cranberries and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla over medium heat until the berries pop, 10 minutes.
10. Cranberry Pancakes Microwave 1 1/2 cups cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar until softened, about 5 minutes; cool. Add to about 3 cups pancake batter.
11. Cranberry Butter Make Classic Cranberry Sauce (No. 1). Puree 1/4 cup with 1 stick softened butter and a pinch of sea salt.
12. Cranberry Cream Cheese Microwave 1/2 cup cranberries with 1 tablespoon sugar until softened, about 5 minutes; cool. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the cranberries and 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
13. Cranberry Oatmeal Heat 2 cups water, 1/2 cup cranberries, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and kosher salt over medium-high heat until the berries pop, 5 minutes. Add 1 cup old-fashioned oats; prepare as the label directs. Top with dried cranberries, nuts and milk.
14. Cranberry Granola Whisk 1/4 cup each brown sugar, vegetable oil and maple syrup. Toss with 2 cups old-fashioned oats, 1 cup each cranberries and salted pepitas, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 1 hour; cool.
15. Cranberry Scones Combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons poppy seeds and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Cut in 1 stick diced cold butter; add 1 beaten egg and 1/4 cup milk, then 3/4 cup cranberries. Shape into a 1/2-inch-thick disk on a baking sheet; score into 8 wedges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 375 degrees F until golden, 25 minutes. Cool; slice.
16. Cranberry Smoothie Puree 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/3 cup frozen cranberries and 1 tablespoon almond butter.
17. Cran-Carrot Juice Puree 1 sliced carrot, 1/2 peeled cored apple, 1/4 cup cranberries, 1/4 peeled and seeded orange, a splash of water and a few ice cubes.
18. Mulled Cranberry Cider Simmer 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail, 1 cup cranberries, 1/4 cup brown sugar, the zest of 1 orange (in wide strips), 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves and 2 cardamom pods over medium heat, 20 minutes.
19. Cranberry Arnold Palmer Heat 1 cup cranberries with 1 cup each sugar and water over medium heat until softened, 5 minutes; cool. Transfer to a pitcher; add 1 cup lemon juice (from about 6 lemons) and 3 cups chilled brewed black tea. Serve over ice with lemon slices.
20. Pickled Cranberries Bring 1 cup water, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon each crushed coriander seeds and red pepper flakes to a boil. Pour over 1 1/2 cups cranberries. Cool, then chill at least 4 hours.
21. Dirty Cranberry Gibson Make Pickled Cranberries (No. 20). Shake 2 ounces gin and 1/2 ounce each dry vermouth and brine from the pickled cranberries in a shaker with ice. Strain into a glass; garnish with the berries.
22. Brandied Cranberries Bring 3/4 cup each sugar and water to a boil with 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise pod and 1 split vanilla bean. Add 2 1/2 cups cranberries; cook 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup brandy. Cool, then chill overnight.
23. Cranberry Negroni Make Brandied Cranberries (No. 22). Shake 1 1/2 ounces gin and 1 ounce each Campari, sweet vermouth and syrup from the brandied cranberries in a shaker with ice. Strain into a glass with ice; garnish with the berries and an orange wedge.
24. Cranberry Manhattan Make Brandied Cranberries (No. 22). Shake 2 ounces rye whiskey and 1/2 ounce each sweet vermouth and syrup from the brandied cranberries in a shaker with ice. Strain into a martini glass and add a few dashes of orange bitters; garnish with the berries and an orange twist.
25. Cranberry Margarita Muddle 1/4 cup cranberries, 1 lime wedge and 1 teaspoon sugar in a shaker. Add ice, 2 ounces each silver tequila and orange liqueur, and 1/2 ounce lime juice; shake. Strain into a salt-and-sugar-rimmed glass with ice.
26. Cranberry Ketchup Cook 2 cups cranberries, 1/2 chopped onion, 1/2 cup water, and 1/3 cup each granulated sugar and brown sugar over medium-high heat until softened, 10 minutes. Puree with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard and 1/4 teaspoon each five-spice powder and kosher salt; cool.
27. Cranberry Mustard Cook 2 cups cranberries with 1/4 cup each water and honey over medium heat until the berries pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Puree with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard; cool.
28. Cranberry-Potato Pancakes Peel and grate 2 russet potatoes; squeeze dry. Mix with 1 egg, 1/2 grated onion, 1/2 cup each chopped cranberries and breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Form into 2-inch pancakes and fry in 1/4 inch vegetable oil (adding more as needed) in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
29. Cranberry Tea Sandwiches Make Cranberry Jelly (No. 4). Pulse 8 ounces goat cheese, 1/4 cup creme fraiche and 2 tablespoons chopped chives in a food processor. Halve a baguette lengthwise and hollow out; spread the cheese mixture on one half and top with baby arugula. Spread 1 cup cranberry jelly on the other half. Sandwich, wrap tightly in plastic and chill. Slice 1/2 inch thick.
30. Baked Camembert with Cranberries Mix 3 tablespoons chopped cranberries, 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon each chopped rosemary and thyme, and 1 minced garlic clove. Slice off the top rind of a small Camembert or Brie wheel; top with the cranberry mixture. Bake in a small dish at 375 degrees F until slightly runny, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with crostini.
31. Cranberry Snack Mix Make Sugared Cranberries (No. 8). Toss 2 cups each thin pretzel sticks, salted peanuts and Chex cereal with 4 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 25 minutes. Cool; toss with the sugared cranberries.
32. Cranberry Vinegar Mash 1/2 cup cranberries in 1/2 cup rice vinegar; strain into a jar and add a few of the crushed cranberries, 1 thyme sprig and 2 slices fresh ginger. Chill at least 1 day or up to 2 weeks.
33. Green Beans with Cranberry Vinaigrette Make Cranberry Vinegar (No. 32). Whisk 2 tablespoons each cranberry vinegar and olive oil, and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard; season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 1/2 pounds green beans in boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Drain and toss with the vinaigrette. Top with chopped toasted walnuts.
34. Cranberry-Chipotle Slaw Whisk 2 tablespoons each cider vinegar and olive oil with 2 teaspoons each chopped canned chipotles, adobo sauce from the can and honey. Toss with 4 cups shredded red cabbage, 1 cup grated celery root, and 1/2 cup each chopped cranberries and parsley; season with salt.
35. Farro with Cranberries and Herbs Cook 1 cup farro as the label directs. Toss 1/2 cup chopped cranberries with 2 teaspoons sugar; mix into the farro with 1/2 cup chopped mixed parsley, tarragon and chives. Season with salt; drizzle with olive oil.
36. Cranberry Rice Salad Make Cranberry Relish (No. 7). Bring 1 cup basmati rice, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1 teaspoon each curry powder and kosher salt to a simmer over low heat. Cover; cook until tender, 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool. Stir in 2 cups cranberry relish and 1/4 cup each golden raisins and chopped almonds.
37. Salad with Pickled Cranberries Make Pickled Cranberries (No. 20). Whisk 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and 1 grated garlic clove. Toss with 6 heads torn Little Gem lettuce and 1 tablespoon each chopped tarragon, parsley and chives; season with salt and pepper. Top with the pickled cranberries.
38. Beet Salad with Cranberries Cook 1/2 cup cranberries with 2 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon sugar over medium heat until the berries pop, 7 minutes; cool. Whisk in 3 tablespoons each balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss with 1 pound cubed peeled cooked beets, 1/3 cup candied walnuts and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; season with salt and pepper. Top with shaved ricotta salata.
39. Cranberry Chicken Salad Microwave 1/2 cup cranberries with 1 tablespoon water until the berries pop, 3 to 5 minutes; cool. Mix with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Toss with 3 cups chopped cooked chicken, 1/2 cup each dried cranberries, walnuts and chopped celery, and 3 tablespoons each chopped red onion and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
40. Cranberry Wings Roast 3 pounds split chicken wings at 425 degrees F until browned and crisp, 45 minutes. Cook 1 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons each rice vinegar and honey, 2 teaspoons Sriracha and 1 teaspoon each grated garlic and ginger over medium heat until the berries pop, 7 minutes; stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Toss with the wings and 4 chopped scallions.
41. Cranberry Turkey Meatballs Make Cranberry Jelly (No. 4). Combine 1 pound ground turkey, 1 egg, 2 grated garlic cloves, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and kosher salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Form into 1-inch balls (about 36); brown in vegetable oil over medium-high heat, 4 minutes. Remove; add 1 1/2 cups each cranberry jelly and chicken broth, and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard to the skillet. Cook, whisking, until thickened, 4 minutes. Return the meatballs to the sauce; top with chopped chives.
42. Cranberry-Glazed Ham Make Cranberry Mustard (No. 27); stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Brush one 6-pound ham with the glaze. Bake at 350 degrees F, brushing every 30 minutes, until hot throughout, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve with the remaining glaze.
43. Cranberry-Fennel Crostini Chop 1/3 cup cranberries; toss with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and sugar. Spread 4 ounces goat cheese on 12 toasted baguette slices. Top with the berries and 1/2 cup sliced fennel; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
44. Cranberry Cornbread Combine 1 cup each flour and cornmeal, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder; toss in 1 cup cranberries. Whisk 1/2 stick melted butter with 1 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs, and the zest and juice of 1 orange; stir into the flour mixture. Bake in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish at 375 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean, 20 minutes.
45. Cranberry Macaroons Whisk 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt in a large bowl until frothy; fold in 1/2 cup chopped cranberries and one 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut. Form into 30 tablespoon-size pyramids on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325 degrees F until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool; drizzle with melted white chocolate.
46. Cranberry Turnovers Make Cranberry-Pear Sauce (No. 3). Roll 1 refrigerated pie dough round to 12 inches on a floured surface; cut into 6 wedges. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the sauce; fold in half and crimp with a fork to seal. Brush with 1 beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden, 20 minutes.
47. Cranberry-Pistachio Cookies Toss 1/2 cup chopped cranberries with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/3 cup chopped pistachios; mix into one 16.5-ounce tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough. Reshape into a 2-inch-thick log; chill. Slice and bake as the label directs.
48. Cran-Velvet Cupcakes Make Sugared Cranberries (No. 8). Whisk 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup each vegetable oil and buttermilk, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon each vanilla and red food coloring in a large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; stir in 1/2 cup chopped cranberries. Divide among a lined 12-cup muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out with moist crumbs, 25 minutes. Let cool. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 stick softened butter, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla; spread on the cupcakes. Top with the sugared cranberries.
49. Cranberry Marshmallow Treats Chop 1 cup cranberries; pat dry and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Melt 3 tablespoons butter and one 10-ounce bag marshmallows in a pot over medium heat, stirring. Stir in 8 cups crispy rice cereal and the berries. Press into a buttered foil-lined 9-inch-square baking dish. Let set; slice.
50. Cranberry Doughnut Holes Microwave 1 cup cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar until softened, 5 minutes; cool. Combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add 1 beaten egg, 1/3 cup milk and the berries. Deep-fry spoonfuls in 350 degrees F vegetable oil, turning, until golden, 5 minutes. Toss with cinnamon sugar.